While mold looks unpleasant and you probably don’t want it in your house, is it actually hurting anyone? At Titan Environmental Services, this is one of the most common questions we get asked. The answer is that as some, not all, molds grow, they can create toxic byproducts. These are called mycotoxins, and so far scientists have identified 200 mycotoxins in common molds.
Common Mold Symptoms
Research is ongoing as to the health implications. Meanwhile we do know of three common symptoms associated with mold. If you notice anyone in your home suffering from these symptoms, it’s worth it to have your home checked for mold.
1. Allergic reactions
Some people are allergic to mold. If they are, exposure to it often exacerbates the allergic reaction. If they aren’t allergic to begin with, repeated exposure can sometimes create a sensitivity. If you are allergic to mold, you may experience hay fever like symptoms such as headache, sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, or a skin rash.
2. Asthma Attacks
If you have asthma, and you are allergic to mold, it can bring on an asthma attack, from mild to severe. If you notice anyone in your home having worse asthma attacks or experiencing them more often than normal, mold could be the culprit.
3. Irritation of Eyes, Nose & Throat
Mold can irritate the membranes in the eyes, nose, throat or lungs.as well as skin, or lungs. Anyone can experience this irritation, even those who aren’t allergic to it.
Related Read: Top 3 Kinds of Mold and Where to Find Them in Your Home
Other Irritants That Cause Similar Symptoms
Although these are all associated with mold, other irritants in the home can cause the same symptoms.
- Dust mites, cockroaches, or other household pests.
- Bacteria is another possible culprit. Another source of potential contaminants are Volatile Organic Compounds, or VOCs.
- VOCs are gases emitted from 1000s of household products such as paints, varnishes, cleaners, solvents, fuels, pesticides, craft products, building supplies and office machines. Concentrations can be up to ten times higher inside a building, and some of these gasses can have short and long-term health effects.