Mold growth in your home or business can cause unpleasant odors, allergic reactions, and even serious medical issues. The good news is, you can usually remove surface mold by wiping it away with a wet cloth and detergent.
But if mold is growing inside the walls of your home or business, getting rid of it poses more of a challenge. You might have to open up the wall to assess the extent of the damage and remove the mold. Titan Environmental Services has put together this fact sheet about mold to help you know what to do when you find it.
10 Mold Facts Worth Noting:
Because mold can cause health problems, it’s good to know its causes, proper treatment, and removal methods.
- Moisture, condensation, and water leaks are the main causes of mold growth. By staying on top of these issues, you reduce the chances of a mold problem developing in your home or business.
- You can reduce indoor moisture by venting bathrooms, installing dehumidifiers, and using fans during any activity that generates humidity.
- It is vital to clean up water spills and leaks within 24 to 48 hours so that you don’t give mold a chance to grow.
- Prevent condensation by adding insulation to all potentially cold surfaces, such as floors, windows, and exterior walls.
- Avoid carpeting areas where moisture is prevalent, such as below sinks or drinking fountains. Carpet traps water and creates an atmosphere where mold is likely to fester.
- As soon as you spot surface mold, immediately wipe it away using a wet towel or wipe and detergent. If mold is present on a porous surface, have a professional from Titan Environmental Services inspect the area to ensure mold isn’t growing inside the material. If it is, you will need to remove the section containing mold.
- After cleaning up mold, identify its root cause (e.g., moisture, a water leak, condensation) and eliminate it. Otherwise, the mold will grow back in short order.
- You can never completely eliminate mold in your home or business unless you completely eliminate moisture. Therefore, aim for as little humidity as possible.
- Mold can grow almost anywhere with moisture. If you leave a sheet of paper on your desk in a high-humidity environment, you might return to find it covered in mold.
- Prolonged exposure to indoor mold can cause allergic reactions and respiratory ailments.
Mold presents a significant threat to your home or business, particularly if you live in a humid climate. By understanding what makes mold grow and how to deal with it, you can create a safer and healthier environment to live and work.